Ingredients for Aloo Paratha Recipe:
For the dough:
Whole wheat flour – 3 cups
Salt- 1 tsp
Water – For kneading
For the filling:
Potatoes (medium sized) – 4-5
onion – 1 (chopped finely)
Grated ginger (adrak) – 1 tbsp,
Green Chillies – 1-2 (finely chopped)
Red chili powder (Lal Mirch) – 1/4 tsp
Dry mango powder (Amchur powder) – 1 tsp
Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves (dhaniya patti) – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Salt – As per taste
Oil/Ghee – For shallow frying
Butter – For garnishing
How to make Punjabi style Aloo Paratha:
1. Sift the flour and add salt. Knead with water to make a soft pliable dough. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and keep it aside.
2. In the mean time, wash the potatoes and place them in a pressure cooker and add 1 cup of water. Cook them till done.
3. Transfer the boiled potatoes to cold water. The cold water ensures that the potatoes are not cooked further and prevent it turning mushy. When potatoes cool down, peel them and roughly chop them.
4. In a large bowl, take the chopped potatoes and add all the dry ingredients and gently mash them all together*.
5. Now take a small portion of the dough and from here you can make aloo paratha in two ways:
(i) Roll out two circular shaped disc of 2-3″ diameter.
(ii) Apply oil/ghee on both the disc.
(iii) Take a spoon full of the filling mixture and place it one one of the dics and spread it evenly.
(iv) Now place the other dics on top of this disc and gently press the sides so as to seal it.
(v) Now gently roll out the paratha, making sure that the paratha is not broken from anywhere.
(i) Roll out the dough into a dics of 3″ diameter.
(ii) Apply ghee/oil evenly on the disc.
(iii) Place a spoon-full of the filling mixture in between the disc.
(iv) Now gather all the edges of the disc and wrap the filling mixture and seal the edges on the top and gently press them again to a small disc.
(v) Now finally roll the disc gently without breaking the disc.
6. Place the paratha on a preheated tawa or pan. When the surface begins to fluff up a little, flip the paratha.
7. Cook on a medium-high heat for 30-40 secdonds and apply oil/ghee on the surface and flip it again.
8. Shallow fry the paratha by pressing it with a spatula till golden spots develop on it.
9. Again flip the paratha after applying oil/ghee on the second side and shallow fry till lightly browned and crisp.
10. Serve immediately and top it with a dollup of butter and enjoy it with chutney, curd or pickle.
*Avoid mashing the potatoes too much, or else the starch in the potatoes will be broken down and you will end up with a gummy mix.