Masala Idli is a very simple yet an interesting twist to the boring plain and white idli. The normal idli batter is tempered with tempering of your choice to make an quick and inviting breakfast recipe. Masala idli can be enjoyed with hot sambar or any chutney of your choice.
Author: Susmita Chawla
Recipe type: Breakfast, Snack
Cuisine: South Indian
Serves: 12-14 medium sized idlis
Ingredients required for Masala Idli Recipe:
Idli Batter – 2 cups
Onion – 1 (medium)
Curry Leaves – 10-15
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Green chillies – 3-4 (finely chopped)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt- As per taste
How to make Masala Idli:
- Take 2 cups of ldli batter in a bowl.
- In a tadka pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil. Crackle mustard seeds, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry till they attain golden brown colour.
- Transfer the tempered mixture to the idli batter. Add salt and mix the batter evenly.
- Pour a scoopful of the prepared batter to each idli mould.
- Transfer the moulds in the idli steamer and steam for about 10-12 minutes.
- Your masala idli is ready. Serve it with hot sambar and any chutney of your choice.
Notes:You can also add grated coconut in the tempering.
Leave a Reply