Ingredients required for Kerala Style Sambar Recipe :
Tuvar Dal/Split pigeon pea/Thuvara Parippu – 2/3 cup
Baby Brinjal – 4-5
Lady Finger/Okra – 5-6
Drumstick – 2
Yellow cucumber/Vellarikka – 1/2 cup (diced)
Ash Gourd/Petha/Kumbalanga – 1/2 (diced)
Broad beans – 3 -4
Onion – 1 big
Tomato – 3 (medium sized)
Green chillies – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder – 2 tsp
Salt- As per taste
Coconut Oil – 1 tsp (optional)
For the temepering
Onions/Shallots – 1 (small) (chopped finely)
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Tamarind/Puli – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 2 tbsp
Whole dry red chillies – 2-3
Asofoetida/Heeng/Kayam – 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Kashmiri lal mirch – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
How to make Authentic Kerala Sambar :
- Soak 1 tbsp of tamarind in 3/4 cup of warm water. Squeeze the pulp and filter the extract. Keep it aside.
- Cut all the required vegetables. Transfer the diced brinjals in water for about 10 minutes to prevent any discolouration.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 1 tsp of oil. Add the chopped onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables including the brinjals and saute.
- Add turmeric powder, coconut oil and salt.
- Pour 3 cups of water and pressure cook for about 5- 6 minutes. Avoid over-cooking the vegetables.
- In another pressure cooker, cook the tuvar dal until it turns slightly mushy.
- When the vegetables have been cooked, transfer the cooked dal into it. Mix evenly.
- Now for the tempering, heat oil in a separate pan.
- Crackle the mustard seeds.
- Add the whole red chillies and curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped onions. Saute till it turns slightly pink.
- Now add asafoetida and all the spice powders mentioned under the section for tempering.
- Add the tamarind extract.
- Let it come to a rolling boil.
- Add the tempering to the dal mixture. Stir well.
- Add 2 tsp of sambar powder. Adjust salt. (Add more water if required).
- Let the sambar come to a rolling boil. Simmer for further 5 minutes.
- Your Kerala style vegetable sambar is ready. Serve hot with rice, idli, dosa or vada.
Leave a Reply