Ingredients for Karela Fry/Pavekka Mezhukkupuratti Recipe :
Bitter-gourd (Karela/Pavekka) – 400 gms
Onion – 1 big (Sliced)
Green Chillies – 2 (cut lengthwise)
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coconut – 1 tbsp (cut into small slices) (optional)
Curry leaves – 8-10
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Oil- 3 tbsp
How to make Karela Fry:
- Cut the bitter-gourd into thin round slices. Marinate it with 1 tsp of salt and keep it aside. After 10-15 minutes bitter gourd will release water, squeeze the water and keep the slices aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add green chillies, coconut slices and onions and saute for a minute.
- Now add the bitter-gourd slices and saute on a high flame for 2 minutes.
- Now reduce the flame to medium and add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
- After 8-10 minutes the bitter-gourd starts turning brown at the edges.
- Keep sauteing in between, add more oil if required and cook till bitter-gourd turns brown and crisp.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves. I usually fry curry leaves separately at the end, since they may turn brown if added in the beginning.
- Your pavekka mezhukkupuratti/karela fry is ready. Serve it as a side dish along with rice.
Leave a Reply