French Beans Thoran or Payar Thoran is one of my favourite thoran recipe since it is so simple to cook and is loaded with nutrition. Payar Thoran is an authentic recipe of Kerala cuisine and is usually served as a side dish along with rice. Ususally Payar thoran is made from the long beans variety, but this time I have made the recipe using french beans. Thoran recipe made from either of the two beans taste equally wonderful.
French beans is known as one of the healthiest foods and has been shown to contain antioxidant properties which in turn is beneficial for the heart. Along with this, it has a high fiber content, therefore, particularly favourable for diabetics and weight watchers!!
Beans thoran is very simple to make and beans take very less time to cook. Thoran recipes usually require minimal oil and is therefore light and healthy. Thoran recipe can be made using different vegetables and there are a variety of thoran that can be made out of them like papaya thoran, beetroot thoran, red spinach thoran, etc. Here in this post, I have provided the step by step procedure to make French Beans Thoran. So lets start cooking!!
Ingredients required for Beans Thoran Recipe:
French beans – 250 gms (you can even use long beans)
Coconut- 1/2 cup (grated)
Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
Garlic- 3-4 pods
Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Green chillies – 1-2
Curry leaves – 1 tbsp
Coconut oil/sunflower oil – 2 tsp
Salt- As per taste
How to make French Beans Thoran:
- Wash the beans thoroughly under running water to remove any dirt.
- Finely chop the beans and keep aside.
- In a grinder add the grated coconut, garlic, cumin seeds, red chilli and turmeric powder.
- Grind coarsely without adding any water. Avoid grinding it to a fine paste.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp of oil. Crackle mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Now add the chopped onions and saute for a minute.
- Add the chopped beans and saute for 1-2 minutes on a high flame.
- Make a well in the centre and add the grated coconut mixture.
- Now cover the mixture with the beans. Add salt and sprinkle 1 tbsp of water. Cover with a lid and cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with 1 tsp of coconut oil and mix everything nicely.
- Your french beans thoran is ready. Serve it along with hot steaming rice and parippu/dal.
Leave a Reply