All purpose flour (Maida) – 1 cup + 1 tbsp for coating walnuts
Granulated sugar – 1/2 cup
Hung curd – 1/4 cup
Vegetable oil – 2 1/2 tbsp
Dates – 1/4 cup
Walnuts – 1/4 cup (chopped)
Bananas (Overripe) – 2
Baking powder – 1/2 tsp
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – A pinch
How to make Banana, Date and Walnut Cake (Eggless) :
- Preheat oven at 180 oC. Grease the baking pan evenly on all sides with oil. Dust the pan with some flour and rotate the pan while tapping it to spread the flour evenly.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least 2 times.
- Soak the dates and walnuts separately in little water.
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and oil till sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the hung curd and whisk it till it becomes light and fluffy.
- In the mean time, mash the bananas with the help of a fork in a separate bowl.
- Grind the soaked dates in a mixer to a fine paste.
- Fold in the flour mix and mashed bananas in two batches into the sugar-oil and curd mix.
- Coat the chopped walnuts in 1 tbsp of flour and add it to the cake mix and fold gently until just incorporated*.
- Pour in the greased baking pan/tray. The batter should be thick and not of pouring consistency. Spread the batter evenly and tap the baking pan a few times so as to release any trapped air bubbles. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Check by inserting a toothpick in the centre, if it comes clean the cake is done. Remove from oven and place it on a wire rack to cool.
- Voila!! Your moist, spongy and delicious Banana, Date & Walnut Cake is ready. Enjoy!!
*Coating the walnuts in flour prevents the walnuts from sinking in the cake mix.