Aloo Methi is a typical north Indian dry vegetable recipe that is very common in every households during the winter season. It is made from fresh fenugreek leaves known as ‘methi’ in Hindi along with boiled potatoes. This recipe is a very simple and quick to make recipe that is very wholesome and nutritious too.
Fenugreek leaves have immense medicinal benefits and is known to be rich in calcium,phosphorus and vitamin C. It is well known for its anti-diabetic properties and is equally beneficial for lowering cholesterol, acidity and even great for hair and skin.
I totally love this recipe and this is quite a regular at my home during the winters. This recipe can be made in a variety of ways and each and every variation is equally good. We usually prepare aloo methi by adding tomatoes.
The potatoes are boiled and what I prefer is to fry the potato chunks a bit in oil to give the sabzi an extra flavour. If you are health conscious and are worried by the extra calories you can skip the frying part and simply add the boiled potatoes along with the fenugreek leaves.
Aloo methi goes very well with phulkas or parathas. I have provided the step by step photos for making this simple yet fabulous dish. So lets start cooking!!
Some of the other vegetable recipes you can also find in this blog are Aloo-Gobhi-matar Sabzi, Sarson ka saag, brinjal fry etc.
Ingredients required for Aloo Methi Recipe
Fenugreek leaves (methi) – 3 cups
Potatoes – 2 (medium sized)
Onion – 1 (medium)
Tomatoes – 3-4 (medium)
Ginger – 1/2 inch peice
Garlic – 5-6 pods
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2tsps + 1 tbsp (For shallow-frying potatoes)
Salt – As per taste
How to make Aloo Methi ki Sabzi:
- Wash the fenugreek leaves thoroughly under running water for 3-4 times. Chop the leaves finely and keep it aside.
- Boil 2 medium sized potatoes in a pressure cooker.
- Peel the potatoes and dice them.
- In a pan, shallow fry the potato chunks till the potato edges acquire a slight golden colour.
- In a different pan, heat 2 tsps of oil. Add the cumin seeds and ginger-garlic paste.
- Mix in the chopped onions and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the oil leaves the onion-tomato mix.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Roast the masalas till it becomes fragrant.
- Now add chopped fenugreek leaves.
- Saute for a minute on high flame.
- Add the shallow fried potatoes and mix gently. Add salt and let it cook covered for about 4-5 minutes.
- The leaves will almost be cooked by now. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of garam masala. Mix and cook for a 1 minute more.
- Your Aloo Methi ki Sabzi is ready. Serve it hot with roti/phulka or rice and dal.
Leave a Reply